At Least It Ain't A Dump

View previous topic View next topic Go down

At Least It Ain't A Dump

Post by fuyumin on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:01 pm

Mari looked up at the tall high-rise apartments next to the theater. The end of her cigarette glowed as she sucked in one last drag before crushing the butt into an ash dish next to the door. Her boss had recommended she wear her nicest clothes, but she still felt out of place in her cheap imitation Vivenne Westwood jacket and spit-polished work boots. She shouldered her duffel and dragged the rest of her luggage inside.

"Miss! Hey! Where do you think you're going!" Holy shit, this place had a doorman? She stepped up to the desk and signed her name, shooting the security guard a dirty look. He squinted at her messy handwriting.

"Hi-Me-No. Remember it." She tapped her finger solidly on the desktop with each syllable. He still looked at her with mild disbelief, but gave her a bow anyways.

"Welcome back, miss." She gave him a half-wave as she walked towards the elevator and went up to her floor. She could see her reflection in the chrome panels on the walls. Her newest nose stud looked a little red. Shit.

The room - no, the apartment, was huge. Fucking huge! Once she made sure the door was closed behind her, she laughed and spun around with her arms wide. This one place was almost as big as her whole house! One of the low-rankers had already come by and furnished the place, including more expensive food than she'd ever seen at once. This Grail War must be big tits for her to get this kind of treatment. She'd already been given a credit card to use for online shopping, and the PC on the table was already encrypted for black market access. She tipped back over the arm of the soft couch and raised her arms high, stretching her shoulders, command seals standing out against her skin.

Oh yeah. That.

After pushing all of the furniture out of the way, Mari laid down a dropcloth and started spraying red paint out of cans, following the diagram given to her on a smudged paper from her back pocket. Maybe she could sell the cans to huffers when the paint was all gone. When the signs were down, she flipped the paper over and cleared her throat, holding out her hand. Her voice was almost droning, reading rather than reciting.

"Let silver an' steel be the essence.
Let stone and the archduke of contracts be the foundation.
Let black be the color I pay tribute to.
Let rise a wall against the wind that shall fall.
Let the four cardinal gates close,
Let the three-forked road from the crown reaching unto the Kingdom rotate
Let it be filled again, again, again, again.
Let it be filled fivefold for every turn, simply breaking asunder with every filling.

From the Seventh Heaven, attended to by three great words of power,
Come forth from the ring of restraint, Protector of the Holy Balance."

She expectantly looked over the edge of the paper, waiting. The edges of the paint bubbled, then began to smolder. They erupted in fine lines of fire, the flame quickly filling in, smaller flickers bursting where the paint had sprayed outside the lines. Mari's jaw dropped, and she ran to the kitchenette, jumping over the counter for the fire extinguisher.

The flames coalesced together and shot upwards in a tower, smoke billowing and filling the room. After grabbing the extinguisher, Mari rolled back over the counter and darted across the living room to throw open the sliding balcony door, fanning the smoke out with her arms. She only ran back inside to stop the screeching alarm, the flames threatening to lick the ceiling of her brand new apartment! She was too caught up in stopping the fire that she didn't notice the shadow standing in the middle of the column.

All at once, before she could even pull the extinguisher's pin, the fire dropped, sizzling away. She slowly looked up to where the middle of the summoning ring was.

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: At Least It Ain't A Dump

Post by Kittenboxxing on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:18 pm

A woman stood there, long purple hair settling from the magic wind that had summoned her. She was pale, almost deathly so, but beautiful. She carried herself with an extremely regal bearing. Her sinewy body was dressed in light armor in a dark purple. It was tight, to aid in ease of movement, but conservatively cut as it showed little skin. She opened her eyes, revealing them to be an unnatural red color, and tilted her chin upwards as she surveyed her new master. As her eyes moved over the fire extinguisher, the servant smiled, "You think quickly. Good. What do you call yourself?" She twirled the longer spear from her back, and pounded it onto the ground to punctuate the question.

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:20 pm

"M-Mari..." She dropped the extinguisher, eyes wide. "Are you a... a..." She picked up the paper and dusted away the charred bits, looking over crudely drawn icons. A spear.

"Lancer? Are you Lancer?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:28 pm

"I am," she confirmed, "My name is Scathach. I rule over the Land of Shadows and have trained many warriors to greatness. I will be honored to train and assist you as well, Mari." the servant nodded to Mari, and, stepping out of the circle, put her spear away.

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:47 am

A trainer? Like a boss? Who was a woman?? Mari bowed sharply, extending a hand to shake.

"Y-yeah! Shit yeah! Yes, please, sis!"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:16 pm

She shook the girl's hand with a smile, "Sisters in war. I look forward to it." She stepped past Mari and looked around her new lodgings. She knew what nothing was, but somehow knew how to work it. There were many new and interesting things. Life had become so convenient! After exploring the apartment, she turned to her master, though honestly she felt more like she was the master in the situation...but she felt that way in most situations. "So. Do you have any plans? Do you know where any of our opponents reside?"

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:41 pm

"It's been a little tricky, y'know? I guess a lot of people are surprised. Everyone in my... Organization, they totally were! Like this wasn't supposed to happen for another, like, sixty years!"

"Anyways, I have, like, familiars and stuff? Like this!" Mari lead her to what seemed to be an antique bird cage lined with fine wire mesh, moths fluttering inside. "I can see through their eyes, but it's easiest to make 'em go out at night. I wish I could get actual birds, but birds don't jive with the whole fire thing, right? Like a moth to flame, blah blah."

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:58 pm

"How intriguing," the servant remarked. "I'm not a big fan of birds myself, to be honest. They are pretty, but I feel they are much better suited to the wild than in cages." she gently petted the legs of a moth that had lit on the wire mesh, it fluttered away to land on the other side of the cage. "Well, then I suppose our first job should be scouting. We need to find these other masters, and I need to be familiar with my territory. Shall we go on a walk?"

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:07 pm

"Yeah, just a sec. I don't think anyone's supposed to start throwing blows yet, but I don't want to be caught up in bullshit." The young woman rummaged through the duffel before checking the magazine of a pistol and tucking it into a waistband holster.

"I already have a knife in my jacket, and you're prepared all the time, right?" She tucked a few bills into the leg of her boot, between the leather and a hole in the lining. The last things she grabbed were a pack of smokes and her phone. "Mmkay, let's go."

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:19 pm

Her servant materialized some more proper clothes for the period. She gestured ahead of herself, "Lead the way."

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Mari walked with Lancer out of the apartment building and onto the sidewalk below. It was only late afternoon, but she was still hesitant to depend on any others following the rules.

"Let's maybe just go around the block? There's a leyline under the theater next door, too, that we can use when shit gets too real. Hey, Scaha... Skada..." She turned to the servant, snapping her fingers. "Hachi?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:37 pm

The servant laughed, "If that's easier for you, by all means. As for casing the block, it is still early in the war, but I'd insist upon at least two, perhaps three blocks. I promise I will protect you from any stray opponents."

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:42 pm

Mari turned pink from the Servant calling her out so easily and nodded. How embarrassing, she had to be the most inexperienced mage ever in the war! Why did the Grail pick her? She sighed and knocked a cigarette out of the pack, mimicking flicking a lighter flint, hiding the farce with her other hand as a small spark danced on the tip of her thumb.

"If you have any questions about what's around, I can tell ya."

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:49 pm

"Of course. And I appreciate your perseverance in the face of danger." she patted Mari on the back and took the lead, investigating every nook and cranny of the three blocks. She went into every store, found every entrance and exit, and even climbed up on top of the buildings to see how they laid. She went over strategies with Mari for several situations, remarked at all the new and interesting things that were in the century, and studied Mari's gun in a secluded place so she could learn exactly what it was capable of. Altogether, the two had a rich experience. Lancer also requested that they pick up a map so that Mari could show her where the leylines were, and so she could mark down places of interest she had seen.

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:19 pm

A few of the stores they definitely didn't belong in. Mari either stared the floor workers down or hid her face, and tried not to yell too much when she saw Hachi climbing up onto the buildings, appeased when the Servant took on spirit form. The two sat down at the coffee table back at the apartment after their rounds were over.

"So the theater is right here, obviously, n' this is where the Tohsakas are, and the Einzberns are probably here. I hear they're super predictable that way. Ah, this is the Church, but they're the overseers? They're only supposed to come in if someone breaks the rules. Once the sun goes down, I can get some sets of eyes out on the street."

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:53 pm

"We should move into the theater to claim it as our base. But we should be quiet about it. We might even be able to set some traps in case the other masters try to take refuge there. Do you know any spells that would work for such an endeavor?" the servant was thrilled to be out again, getting ready to do battle. Her eagerness showed in her eyes and demeanor. She had been closed off for so long...

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:27 pm

"Traps, traps..." She knew a few glyphs, nothing incredibly defensive, but certainly destructive. Maybe that combined with some security equipment would hold them out for a while?

"I can lay down flame traps, sure. They'll explode whenever someone gets too close. I can also rig up alarms and cameras n' stuff, maybe oil spill traps even. You got any ideas, Sis?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:33 pm

"That sounds good. I have a few tricks up my sleeve as well. Shall we move discreetly to the theater then? If you need to buy anything technical, we can lay down the magic tonight, and install the physical traps tomorrow."  the hero stood and gathered the map and a few supplies to bring with them into the theater.

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:37 pm

"I was told I should buy stuff online, as fast as it'll ship. That way I don't spend too much time outside all suspicious n' shit. We can install whenever it gets here, though." Mari put some snacks and sports drinks into her duffel and lead Hachi next door.

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:01 pm

"oh! How very convenient. Such an age we are in," she went with Mari, making sure they took the most discreet path into the theater. She moved to the booth that controlled the light and sound, and crawled up a ladder inside that lead to the catwalk. There she set up the supplies, along with smaller caches around other places. The catwalk however, would be their main area. It was hard to get to, but an excellent vantage point. It also wasn't very comfortable, which would hopefully keep their enemies from thinking they would set up there. She spent the rest of the time laying down rune traps at every doorway and window.

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:28 pm

When all was chanted and done, Mari fell into an audience seat and cracked open a can of juice.

"All that casting makes me super tired, y'know? One of the other mages told me that it was like burnin' calories, so I try to eat something after a lot of spellwork. You can have some, too!" She tossed Hachi a can of juice, the label screaming about something called "electrolytes," and a tube of puffy fried corn dough flavored like chicken curry.

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:57 pm

"Thank you," she gladly took the snacks. They were full of flavor, but still odd. In any case, they weren't horrible. She sat next to Mari, silently eating, before saying, "Sometimes I feel that waiting is the most challenging part in a battle."

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:41 pm

"Right?? I just wanna get out there and -" She punched her fist into her palm. "Sitting here doing nothing is so boring!! Anyways, since it's getting late I can send out some familiars. I'll be back really quick, yeah?" Mari hopped up and jogged back to her apartment.

The birdcage was inconspicuous on the balcony, and the moths fluttered out one by one, soaring across the city. When she reached the sidewalk below, she saw a tourist - American? - walking by the theater with another person with a really cool hat. Suddenly, she felt as though she was being watched, and it made her skin crawl. She sprinted to the theater and returned to Hachi through the back loading doors.

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:06 pm

The servant immediately stood, "Is something amiss? You seem troubled."

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:33 pm

"There's a Servant and Master here..." Mari shimmied up onto the catwalk as fast as she could, grabbing a pair of binoculars.

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top