The Common Sense of Man

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Common Sense of Man

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:09 pm

The flight from Japan to Switzerland was long, and oddly, cloudy the entire way. When they landed, they followed the instructions on the letter to a bus route, and then a train route that took them to a remote town at the base of the mountains.

They walked to another bus stop, unmarked, which drove them out into the countryside. As they approached what appeared to be a deadend against a hillside, secret doors in the hill opened up and allowed them passage into a tunnel. Inside was another train, slick and white, looking too clean and futuristic for such a remote, rural location. It was only a couple cars long, and as soon as they boarded, it took off.

The entire route was in an underground tunnel. There was no one else in the train except for the driver, who was sealed behind magnetic doors. It was eerily quiet as they rode the train for hours, until eventually they felt their ears pop. They were steadily going up, up, up.

There was a sudden flash of light as they passed through a windowed part of the tunnel. It took a moment for their eyes to adjust to the bright white, but they soon saw that they were high in the Alps, curving around a mountainside. In the distance, through blowing winds and snow, they saw their destination.

Their train returned to darkness, and a few minutes later, slid to a stop. They exited the train and walked down a long, dark tunnel. As they walked, they felt a strange sensation, as though they had passed through a Bounded Field, but not like one they had ever felt before.

At the end of the hall, they finally entered Chaldea. The hallway was wide and tall, with large glass windows looking out on the snowy alpine mountainside. Everything was white and neat, almost sterile.

Two men stood at the entrance in white uniforms. One bowed to them.

"Welcome to the Organization for the Preservation of the Common Sense of Man. Finis Chaldea." He gestured down the hall. "Please come this way."

They led the group down the hall, to where a man in a top hat was waiting for them.

"Hello there." He bowed. "My name is Lev Lainur. I'm an administrator here. It's good to finally meet you."

Damascus
Admin

View user profile http://fatemirrorimage.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Common Sense of Man

Post by Kittenboxxing on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:13 pm

"Cool story! I have a question, do you know where the hell Marisbury is?" Aaron had certainly not been particularly close to the man, but he had been pretty worried about him since his disappearance. Though he was awed by the sights he saw, he had made his main mission to ask where his brother in arms had gone immediately.

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 pm

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lainur." Phillipus shook his hand as Aaron asked after Marisbury. "Indeed, how is Mr. Animusphere?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 pm

He was taken aback by the sudden question, but then frowned sadly. "I'm sorry. He passed away several years ago. It was a suicide. His daughter Olgamarie is the acting Chief now."

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:20 pm

"Holy shit..." Aaron's eyes were wide. He was immediately a bit suspicious about this woman. She hadn't bothered to inform them about what happened to her father, yet she clearly knew about them and where they were. Lazarus spoke up, "I'm so sorry we brought it up. Nobody told us. We're happy to have you here to meet us though! And we're very sorry to interrupt. Please, go on."

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:24 pm

"It's okay," Lev said quickly. "We would have informed you sooner, however, Mr. Animusphere apparently kept his correspondences very secret. We only found out about all of you a week earlier, just before we put out the call for assistance." He smiled at Lazarus. "I'm surprised, frankly. Based on what he wrote about you, I can't imagine why he didn't call you here sooner. To think he didn't even tell us about your Servants! Considering how much work he put into the FATE system, I was a little floored."

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 pm

"He was a bit of a private mind, to my recollection, but brilliant nonetheless. I'm sure Miss Animusphere is capable of following in his footsteps." Phillipus smiled politely at Lev, bowing slightly. "Now, what can we do for the organization?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Lev cleared his throat. "The short answer is this. Your mission is to save the world."

"I highly apologize for the urgency, but time is of the essence. We will commence our mission in two days. Your briefing will be in a few hours, at which time you will get the full details of the crisis."

"In the meantime, we have to take preparations." He gestured to Lazarus and Yui. "I will take you to meet our system coordinator, who can hopefully find a good role for you to play. There's little time to get you accustomed to Chaldea's systems, but if Mr. Animusphere considered you a brilliant mind, I will trust him." He then looked to the others. "You lot have been selected as Masters, so we need to test your suitability for quantum spirit diving. We need to make sure you have the ability to Rayshift without any harmful effects. Any questions?"

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:36 pm

"I suspect you'll address what Rayshifting can do to Heroic Spirits in contrast to mortal lifeforms?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:37 pm

"Uh, yeah." Avalon piped up, "What the hell is going on?"

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 pm

"Of course," he answered Phillipus. "We have a Heroic Spirit here to assure there would be no complications. Miss daVinci can explain all the details."

To Avalon, "I'm sorry. I know this is a lot to comprehend. The truth is, even the staff here has been somewhat swept along in the urgent situation. The details will have to wait for your briefing, but I can try to explain it in simple terms."

"No more than ten days ago, we at Chaldea have detected that humanity will go extinct within the next year. Thus, we sent out emergency invitation for 48 Master candidates, who will be deployed on a mission to prevent humanity's extinction. As all of you have already served as Masters in a proper Grail War, you were all prime candidates." He coughed. "Despite us only just learning of the Grail War's existence. That data was only declassified when the emergency call was made."

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 pm

"Miss - Miss da Vinci??" Phillipus was agog as he started to look around the room.

"So," Mari spoke up, "other people are gonna be coming? Are they already here?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 pm

"Either way, we'd better get started and settled in. Lead the way." The group followed their guide and Aaron caught Phillipus' eye, trying to share a covert look of suspicion about the situation. Ciara tugged on her mom's arm, whispering her own concerns (alebeit excited concerns) about the possible mystery afoot. Avalon walked along next to Mari, brow furrowed in contemplation.

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:58 pm

"Yes, the rest of the Masters have already arrived and preparing to attend the briefing. In a moment we will give you your Chaldea uniforms, and we will show you your rooms after the spirit dive test. Ah, yes, I almost forgot."

He turned to Philipus. "Due to being both a magus and a Heroic Spirit, you were recommended as a Master to summon a Servant of your own. You are, however, free to choose to serve solely as a Servant instead."

He led them to an elevator, which descended deeper into the facility. As they descended, the glass side opened onto a vast cavern-like room. A computer bank the size of a tower dominated the center of the room.

"If you do serve as a Master, though, there is an obstacle to overcome. In order to sustain both yourself and your Servant in the field, we would need an additional mana source. Either that, or... Mr. Animusphere's notes mentioned that it may be within our capabilities to give you a physical body, given Lazarus'... extensive knowledge of magecraft."

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Phillipus gave a short laugh. "If I had a human body again, I'd be pursuing the same sort of immortality as Lazarus, not here. I'd like to consider these additional sources first."

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:12 pm

"Well, either way, you may have to switch to a different Master. Lazarus cannot Rayshift with you, so he can't provide you mana during missions. Then, if you decide to summon a Servant, you will need twice as much mana. Either somehow contracting with an additional Master or remaining fixed to local leylines."

Yui tried not to giggle. "Or other ways." Lev shot her a somewhat uneasy look, and she looked away, covering her smile with one hand.

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Aaron immediately raised his hand, barely able to stop from grinning "I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE."

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:16 pm

Lev looked irritated. "You'll already have a Servant of your own!"

"You might have to scour the local population instead!" Yui finally burst out laughing, her eyes watering. "I'm so sorry, Phillipus. I couldn't resist!"

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Aaron gave Yui a big hug, "You are the best."

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Phillipus shook a finger pensively. "No, no, that's not a bad idea. Aaron can absorb mana quickly from any given source due to a unique procedure. Regardless of how it's distributed between us, he could be as capable as Lazarus of hosting both myself and a Spirit I would be contracted with."

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Lev gave it a thought. "That's entirely possible. Aaron would need to move his current contract to another Master though."

Darius, who had been lurking behind the group with Artoria, grumbled slightly.

"Perhaps he and Lazarus can just switch," Yui offered. "But then that would mean Darius couldn't go on missions..."

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittenboxxing on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:26 pm

"Nooo, Darius is my bro. I'm not gonna just pass him off to just anybody. But! If he's okay with it, Phillipus could contract with him and then I could contract with Phillipus!" he gazed off into the distance, thinking that what he said maybe sounded like some kind of odd threesome.

Kittenboxxing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:28 pm

Phillipus sighed as he recognized the clouds in Aaron's eyes, but nodded with his hands on his hips. "That sounds like a fine idea. What say you, Darius?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Darius nodded. "That's acceptable. I can keep from using too much mana during these missions."

"Say, Lev..." Yui said cautiously. "Can me and Lazarus summon Servants? Not for missions, just... to hang around?"

Lev gave her a curious look. "Well... Chaldea can support any number of Servants. I suppose with the proper approval, I see no harm in it."

Yui smiled to herself, remembering an old friend.

"I suppose that's settled, then. Aaron with Phillipus and Darius. Avalon with Artoria. And Mari will summon a Servant of her own."

The elevator finally ground to a halt and Lev led them to a room with sliding magnetic doors. "Any questions before we begin the spirit dive tests?"

Damascus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fuyumin on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:35 pm

Phillipus nudged Yui with an elbow and gave her a warm smile. Her choice was clear, and if Lazarus was amenable, he'd be looking for a certain gilded feather himself.

"Will we be meeting Miss da Vinci soon?"

fuyumin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top